Congratulations Unified Falcons! Charles P. Murray Middle School has been awarded recognition as a Class of 2021 Unified Champion National Banner Schools by Special Olympics. Only 68 schools in the nation were given this honor and are considered national models of inclusion.
Special Olympics defines a Unified Champion School as a school that demonstrates a commitment to inclusion and commits to these activities:
- Special Olympics Unified Sports® where students with and without disabilities train and compete as teammates
- Inclusive Youth Leadership
- and Whole-School Engagement.
Each year, Special Olympics honor schools that go above and beyond to:
- Choose to include all members of the school community
- Show respect to all members of the school community
- Commit to spreading inclusion in their community
These schools that serve as national models of inclusion are awarded status as a Unified Champion National Banner School. Only five of these schools are in North Carolina. These schools are Idlewild Elementary, Green Hope High School, Francis Bradley Middle School, Duke University, and Charles P. Murray Middle School. Thank you Ms. Rosser, Ms. Hill, Coach Bennett and all the Unified Falcons.